11 Dec 2022, 13:15

Advancement of freedom fighters since December made Victory evident

RANGPUR, Dec 11, 2022 (BSS) – With unstoppable advancement of heroic freedom fighters since the beginning of December, 1971, the occupation army continued retreating from Rangpur region making the ultimate Victory quite evident.
From the last days of November and early December in 1971, freedom fighters with Indian allied forces launched massive attacks and started defeating the Pakistani army to become triumphant across the region.
The defeated and demoralised Pakistani army fled from Panchagarh on November 29 and Thakurgaon on December 2 at the unstoppable advancement of freedom fighters and continued retreating from their all bases in Rangpur region.
Former Rangpur District Unit Commander of Bangladesh Muktijoddha Sangsad Mosaddek Hossain Bablu said decisive attacks of freedom fighters and allied forces at the last stage started pushing back the occupation army from the region.   
Bablu, also incumbent Chairman of Rangpur District Council, narrated the spontaneous participation of Rangpur people in the War of Liberation with heroism since the beginning of March in 1971 to achieve the ultimate victory on December 16.
“In fact, the critical struggles for independence sparked in Rangpur region from the beginning of March, 1971 when people from all walks of life began showing stiff resistance against the Pakistani occupation army,” he said.
The indomitable Bangalee nation guessed the conspiracy of Yahiya Khan who cancelled on March 1 the scheduled parliament sitting on March 3 and declared curfew on the day in 1971.
Vehemently rejecting cancellation of the parliament session, Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman called strike on March 2 in Dhaka and March 3 across the country when people of Rangpur region started mobilising rapidly.    
“Instantly responding to Bangabandhu’s call, tens of thousands of people brought out protest processions breaking curfew in Rangpur on March 3 challenging the Pakistani regime,” said Bablu.
Factually, the crucial struggles got a sparkling shape in Rangpur city from March 3, 1971 when schoolboy Sangku Samajhder embraced martyrdom as non-Bengali Sarforaz Khan opened gunfire on him in the massive protest processions at 9 am.
Martyrdom of Sangku and two other brave sons of the soil on March 3, 1971 immediately turned Rangpur volatile when the Pakistani regime declared curfew from March 3 to 5 in the city.
“The struggles for independence became irreversible when Convener of the then Rangpur unit of Chhatra Sangram Parishad Rafikul Islam Golap hoisted the flag of ‘Swadhin Bangla’ at the Deputy Commissioner’s residence on March 23, 1971,” Bablu said.
Concurrently, the then Chhatra League leader Elias Ahmed hoisted the flag of ‘Swadhin Bangla’ at the Deputy Commissioner’s Office in Rangpur city.
On March 24, one Sahed Ali, a butcher by profession, abruptly snatched away a light machine gun from a Pakistani soldier and instantly hit Pakistani Lieutenant Abbas at Nisbetganj area in Rangpur city when they were standing there by the side of their jeep.
“Lieutenant Abbas succumbed in the hospital that night. It was the first successful assault of the heroic Rangpur people on the occupation army,” Bablu added.
Heroic freedom fighter Majibar Rahman Master said three days after the March 25 crackdowns at Dhaka, as many as 30,000 of heroic people showed sparkling bravery by attacking Rangpur cantonment with indigenous weapons on March 28, 1971.
Hundreds of heroic sons belonging to the Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Oraon, Santal and other ethnic communities embraced martyrdoms in the bid to capture the cantonment setting up an unequaled example of bravery and supreme sacrifice.
Heroic freedom fighter Matiar Rahman said the occupation army continued dreadful genocides and atrocities against humanity since April further uniting the Bangalees who started participating in the War of Liberation en-masse across Rangpur region.
“From the end of November, heroic freedom fighters started defeating the occupation army in fierce battles to become unbeatable from December when Indian allied forces joined them finally liberating Rangpur city on December 16,” Matiar added.


  • Latest News
  • Most View