News Flash

DHAKA, May 23, 2026 (BSS) – The Chief Prosecutor of the International Crimes Tribunal (ICT), Md Aminul Islam, has reiterated his commitment to ensuring a transparent and impartial trial in cases filed over crimes committed during the July Mass Uprising.
“The families of the July martyrs expect justice in the same way I do. We are working hard to ensure punishment in every case. We have carried out every stage of the investigation and trial process with transparency and impartiality,” he said while talking to BSS.
The ICT chief prosecutor said he has deep sympathy for every family whose members were injured, killed, or subjected to enforced disappearance or murder during the July Mass Uprising, adding, “Having been personally involved in the movement, I deeply feel the grief of the affected families.”
He also said the tribunal was established with a commitment to ensuring justice, and proceedings are still being conducted with dedication, transparency, and professionalism to achieve that goal.
“Both the International Crimes Tribunal and the prosecution are committed to ensuring justice. The accused are being given all legal facilities available for their defence. At the same time, the statements, complaints, evidence, and testimonies of victim families are being given the highest priority,” Aminul added.
The chief prosecutor further said that so far, verdicts have been delivered in five cases of crimes against humanity from the two tribunals. These include a case filed against ousted Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina. In addition, a case against Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JSD) President Hasanul Haque Inu is awaiting judgment (CAV).
He said that 22 more cases are currently under trial, with daily proceedings involving witness testimonies, arguments, and the examination of documents. At the same time, investigations are ongoing in 31 cases, where extensive documents, evidence, testimonies, and information are being collected.
So far, 105 cases have been formally accepted as complaints. In addition, around 450 more complaints have been submitted to the prosecution. After verification, these will be sent for investigation.
He said, “Every case at the International Crimes Tribunal is challenging, as many of those involved in suppressing the July Mass Uprising are influential figures in society. Since cases have been filed against senior individuals in the police, administration, politics, and journalism, it is not always easy to collect evidence and testimonies.”
He added, “However, we are moving forward through every stage, from investigation to trial, by overcoming these challenges.”
Responding to allegations that some martyr families are not receiving adequate information about case progress, the chief prosecutor said he has been organising public hearings in different areas since taking office so that families can directly communicate with the prosecution.
“I am trying to ensure that every family can know the progress of their case and provide us with the necessary documents or information. So far, no one has expressed disappointment or raised concerns about not getting justice,” he added
The ICT chief prosecutor said that regular trial proceedings are ongoing in both tribunals, with courts sitting every day except on holidays. He added that around 19 prosecutors and 24 investigation officers are currently working in the prosecution.
He said, “Managing such a large number of cases in a structured manner is a major challenge. Even so, we are continuing the disposal of cases at a normal pace.”
The chief prosecutor further said, “If trials are rushed, there is a risk of injustice. On the other hand, undue delay deprives victim families of justice. Therefore, we are neither rushing nor causing unnecessary delay. Every case is being tried through a regular, continuous, and lawful process.”