BSS
  19 Aug 2026, 09:13

Sacked Ukraine defence minister urges path to elections

KYIV, Ukraine, Aug 19, 2026 (BSS/AFP) - Ukraine's popular ex-defence minister Mykhailo Fedorov, sacked last month, on Tuesday called for a move towards elections that have been put off because of the Russian invasion.

Ukraine imposed martial law when Russian forces swept over the border in February 2022, and military rule prohibits holding elections.

"Democracy cannot be held hostage by Russia," Fedorov said in a video posted to YouTube.

We are fighting precisely because we want to remain a free European state."

Fedorov said Ukraine must find a "legal, safe, and realistic mechanism that will allow Ukraine to restore a full democratic process even amidst a prolonged war".

The ex-defence minister acknowledged the obstacles to holding a vote during the war, including how to ensure soldiers, people living near the front line and millions of Ukrainians abroad can cast ballots.

"This is complex... But complexity does not mean impossibility," Fedorov added.

Appointed defence minister in January, Fedorov tried to reform a military hit by scandals over corruption, equipment shortages, absenteeism, the treatment of conscripts and an unpopular mobilisation drive.

His dismissal in July triggered weeks of protests, piling pressure on President Volodymyr Zelensky who then replaced army chief Oleksandr Syrsky, widely seen as Fedorov's rival.

He gave no indication of his political plans in the video, though Fedorov has repeatedly stated that he would only return to the government as defence minister.

Zelensky has since appointed Yevgeniy Khmara, a career intelligence official with a low political profile, as acting defence minister pending a vote in parliament.

Another demonstration in support of Fedorov is scheduled outside parliament on Wednesday morning, according to his former adviser and key backer Sergiy Sternenko.