News Flash

SANAA, Aug 18, 2026 (BSS/AFP) - Yemen's Iran-backed Houthis targeted an oil refinery on Saudi Arabia's southern Red Sea coast Tuesday, rebel media reported, as the group ramps up attacks on the kingdom after announcing a maritime blockade.
Yemen, embroiled in more than a decade of civil conflict, in July became the latest country to be dragged into the Middle East war as the Houthis upended a 2022 truce with Yemen's Saudi-backed government, launching attacks on areas it holds as well as Saudi Arabia.
The Houthis "targeted the Aramco refinery in Jazan with a number of drones... in response to airspace violations over the governorates of Saada and Hajjah" in Yemen, Houthi news agency Saba said Tuesday, citing a military source.
Last month, the Houthis welcomed an Iranian plane landing in Yemen's capital Sanaa, setting off a spate of tit-for-tat attacks.
They later announced a maritime blockade of the Yemeni government's backer Saudi Arabia -- which has led a coalition that heavily bombed Houthi areas throughout the war.
The United Nations said it was "deeply concerned" by the reported strikes.
"Such attacks risk further entangling Yemen in the wider regional confrontation, at a time when the region is already facing intense pressure and regional trade and energy flows are under severe strain," said UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres' official spokesman.
The Houthis have hit Saudi tankers in the Red Sea and attacked Yemeni government forces since the latest round of fighting broke out.
They have also repeatedly targeted Saudi Arabia's oil infrastructure and airports.