BSS
  20 Aug 2026, 19:56

BCB plans revamped BPL after Tk 40 crore losses in two seasons

DHAKA, Aug 20, 2026 (BSS) - The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has decided against holding the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) this year after incurring losses of around Tk 40 crore over the last two editions.

The board instead plans to revamp the franchise-based tournament and bring it back next year with a new structure.

BCB President Tamim Iqbal said the board is working on a new formula for the BPL, with changes planned in the franchise system, financial management and regulations.

"We are not holding the BPL this year. We are working on a formula. When 60-70 percent of the work is done, I will announce how we are arranging our domestic calendar. It will be quite different and interesting," Tamim told reporters at Mirpur today.

Tamim said the board could quickly arrange a tournament with five teams, but they are not willing to do so at the expense of the competition's quality and the BCB's credibility.

"I can create five teams tomorrow if I want, but I will not do that. What is important to me is fair cricket and maintaining the dignity of the BCB. I am willing to face criticism for that," he remarked.

He informed the board wants to temporarily halt the current process and rebuild the tournament properly rather than rush its return.

"We want to stop for now and revive the whole thing beautifully," Tamim said.

The BCB president identified franchise compliance and financial accountability as major problems in the existing system.

Tamim, also the former Bangladesh skipper, said the board was forced to bear financial responsibilities when franchises failed to meet regulations or withdrew from the competition.

"We cannot do the BPL this way. In some cases, rules and regulations were broken. The problem is that if a team pulls out or does not meet compliance, the BCB has to take responsibility for that team. In the last two years, the BCB has suffered losses of around Tk 40 crore. The BCB should make a profit from franchise cricket, not a loss," he opined.

However, Tamim stressed that the board has no intention of abandoning the BPL. Instead, it is prepared to take six to 12 months to establish a sustainable system.
"Our intention is 1,000 percent to do this. But I do not want to rush. I want to do it properly. If it takes six months or 12 months, I will take that time," he said.

The BCB has already started communicating with the franchises, while issues involving franchises that have defaulted will also need to be resolved.

The board plans to complete the franchise process by April-May next year, giving it sufficient time to find alternatives if any franchise withdraws at the last moment.

"We want to complete all the franchise processes by April-May. Previously, everything was done at the very last moment. We want to lock the franchises with enough time in hand so that if anyone defaults, we have time to look for an alternative. We will try to host it next year in a systematic way," Tamim said.

Meanwhile, the BCB is also working on a revised domestic cricket calendar to give players with sufficient match opportunities in the absence of the BPL this year. The board will announce the alternative arrangements once the new domestic structure is finalised.