News Flash

ROME, Aug 17, 2026 (BSS/AFP) - An Italian rescue charity said on Monday it
pulled 50 people to safety from a double-deck wooden boat in international
waters off Libya, and recovered seven bodies.
Emergency said it spotted the "overcrowded wooden boat" in the early hours
and began the rescue operation.
"Halfway through the rescue, our team noticed nine people lying on the deck,"
Jonathan Nani La Terra, the mission leader on board Emergency's Life Support
search and rescue vessel, said in a statement.
The nine "had been moved there by other survivors who had recovered them from
the hold where they had spent the entire journey", he said.
"Nothing could be done for seven of them. Two are in a critical condition due
to suffocation," he said.
The migrants, who hail from Somalia and Egypt, said the boat had set off from
Zuwara in Libya early on Sunday.
The International Organization for Migration said last week that the number
of known migrant deaths in the central Mediterranean has increased
drastically, even as migrant numbers fall because of harsher European
policies.
This was partly due to a bout of severe weather in January and journeys
growing longer with migrant boats departing further away from European
shores.
Some 17,800 migrants have arrived in Italy so far this year, compared to
39,116 during the same period in 2025, according to interior ministry data.