GAZA STRIP, Palestinian Territories, Feb 11, 2024 (BSS/AFP) - Hamas warned
Israel on Sunday that a ground offensive into Gaza's far-southern city of
Rafah, crowded with displaced Palestinians, would imperil the release of
hostages held by militants in the besieged territory.
Foreign governments, including Israel's key ally the United States, and aid
groups have voiced deep concern over Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahu's vow to extend operations.
Rafah, on the border with Egypt, has remained the last refuge for
Palestinians fleeing Israel's relentless bombardment elsewhere in the Gaza
Strip in its four-month war against Hamas, triggered by the group's October 7
"Any attack by the occupation army on the city of Rafah would torpedo the
exchange negotiations," a Hamas leader told AFP on condition of anonymity.
The Israeli premier has told troops to prepare to go into the city which
now hosts more than half of Gaza's total population, spurring concern about the
impact on displaced civilians.
Netanyahu told US broadcaster ABC News that those who urged Israel not to
go into Rafah were effectively giving Hamas licence to remain.
In an interview aired Sunday, Netanyahu insisted the Rafah operation would
go ahead "while providing safe passage for the civilian population so they can
Some 1.4 million people have crowded into Rafah, with many living in tents
amid increasingly scarce supplies of food, water and medicine.
Mediators have held new talks in Cairo for a pause in the fighting and the
release of at least some of the 132 hostages Israel says are still in Gaza,
including 29 thought to be dead.
Hamas seized some 250 hostages on October 7, according to an AFP tally
based on official Israeli figures, and dozens were released during a one-week
truce in November.
Hamas's military wing on Sunday said two hostages had been killed and eight
others seriously wounded in Israeli bombardment in recent days, a claim AFP is
unable to independently verify.
Israeli strikes have long hit targets in Rafah, and combat on Sunday seemed
intense several kilometres (miles) to the north in Khan Yunis city, where AFP
correspondents heard regular explosions and saw plumes of black smoke.
Israel's military said troops were conducting "targeted raids" in the west
of Khan Yunis, an area where Hamas's armed wing reported violent clashes.
The Hamas-run territory's health ministry on Sunday reported 112 deaths
over the previous 24 hours, and Hamas authorities added there had been dozens
of air strikes, including on Rafah.
- 'Massacre' -
Hamas's unprecedented October 7 attack on southern Israel resulted in the
deaths of about 1,160 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based
on official figures.
Vowing to eliminate Hamas, Israel has responded with a relentless offensive
in Gaza that the territory's health ministry says has killed at least 28,176
people, mostly women and children.
On ABC, Netanyahu claimed Israeli forces have "killed and wounded... about
12,000 fighters" of Hamas.
The United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Oman and the Organisation of Islamic
Cooperation (OIC) were some of the latest to raise the alarm over the plan for
Rafah, Gaza's last major population centre that Israeli troops have yet to
"The OIC strongly warned that the continuation and expansion of the Israeli
military aggression is part of rejected attempts to forcibly expel the
Palestinian people from their land," the 57-nation Jeddah-based bloc said on
It stressed "that such acts fall under genocide and would lead to a
humanitarian catastrophe and collective massacre".
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have also rejected "forced"
displacement of people from Rafah, evoking the trauma of Palestinians' mass
exodus and forced displacement around the time of Israel's creation in 1948.
Denouncing a "genocide" in Gaza, thousands rallied Sunday in Morocco's
capital Rabat and called on their government to undo a 2020 normalisation pact
A French foreign ministry spokesman said "a large-scale Israeli offensive
in Rafah would create a catastrophic humanitarian situation" and could lead to
Earlier in the Gaza war Israel's military called on residents to evacuate
areas "for their safety".
- 'No place to escape' -
But Gazans, driven further and further south, have repeatedly said they can
find no safe refuge from the fighting and bombing.
Farah Muhammad, 39, a mother of five displaced from northern Gaza, was at a
loss to know what to do if troops move in to Rafah.
"There is no place to escape," she said.
German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said on social media platform X
that "the people in Gaza cannot disappear into thin air".
Saudi Arabia called for an urgent UN Security Council meeting, while
Britain's Foreign Secretary David Cameron said the priority "must be an
immediate pause in the fighting to get aid in and hostages out".
Netanyahu, whose coalition government includes far-right politicians, faces
calls for early elections and mounting protests over his failure to bring home
"It's clear Netanyahu is dragging out the war. He has no idea what to do on
the day after," one protester, Gil Gordon, said in Tel Aviv.
Efrat Machikwa, a niece of captive Gadi Mozes, said Israelis "are with us,
but we don't feel the government is".