Coronavirus: latest global developments
PARIS, June 28, 2020 (BSS/AFP) – Here are the latest developments in
the coronavirus crisis:
– Cases top 10 million –
The total number of global infections has now surpassed 10 million,
according to an AFP tally at 0930 GMT on Sunday based on official
The rate of infections worldwide has doubled since May 21, with one
million new cases recorded in just the last six days.
The pandemic has killed at least 498,779 people worldwide since it
surfaced in China late last year, according to the count.
– Half a million confined in Beijing –
China imposes a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people in
a province surrounding the capital to contain a fresh cluster, as
authorities warn the outbreak is still “severe and complicated.”
Health officials say Anxin county — about 150 kilometres (90
miles) from Beijing — will be “fully enclosed and controlled”, the
same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city
of Wuhan earlier this year.
The move comes after another 14 cases of the virus are reported in
the past 24 hours in Beijing, taking the total to 311 since mid-June
and spurring the testing of millions of residents.
– UK city lockdown? –
The English Midlands city of Leicester could face a local lockdown,
the UK’s Home Secretary Priti Patel says, after a spike of 658 new
cases reported in the two weeks up to June 16.
– Iran masks up –
The Islamic republic says it will make mask-wearing mandatory in
certain areas as of next week and continuing until July 22, with the
possibility of the measure being extended.
During a televised meeting of the country’s anti-virus taskforce,
President Hassan Rouhani also says authorities are allowing hard-hit
provinces to reimpose restrictive measures if required.
– Sport with spectators –
South Korea says it will begin allowing limited numbers of
spectators at sports games, despite concerns over a second wave of
The sports ministry is expected to hold a meeting this week to
discuss the details, Yonhap news agency reports, and the Korea
Baseball Organisation is preparing to fill around 30 percent of stands
at its games.
And in Brazil, the state of Rio de Janeiro will allow football fans
into stadiums from July 10, initially at one-third capacity, according
to an official decree.
Capacity will move to two-thirds from August 1, while stadiums will
be able to function with no restrictions from August 16.