Three dead, eight wounded in US high school shooting
OXFORD, United States, Dec 1, 2021 (BSS/AFP) - A 15-year-old student opened
fire at his Michigan high school on Tuesday, killing three teenagers and
wounding eight other people before surrendering to police, authorities said,
in what was the deadliest US school shooting so far this year.
Eight others, including one teacher, were wounded in the attack, which took
place shortly after noon while classes were in session at Oxford High School,
the Oakland County Sheriff's Office said.
The sheriff's office said the dead were a 16-year-old male, a 14-year-old
female, and a 17-year-old female.
Of the wounded, six were in stable condition and two were undergoing
The suspect was taken into custody and a semi-automatic handgun was seized,
but there was no immediate explanation for what might have prompted the
attack in Oxford, a small town about 40 miles (65 kilometers) north of
"There was no resistance during the arrest and the suspect has asked for a
lawyer and has not made any statements as to a motive," the sheriff's office
"It's a very tragic situation," Undersheriff Michael McCabe told reporters.
"We have three deceased victims right now, who are all believed to be
students," he said.
"We have lots of upset parents," he said.
McCabe said police received more than 100 911 emergency calls shortly after
noon, and that the shooter unleashed 15-20 shots over about five minutes.
The suspect was taken into custody within five minutes of the first 911
call, he said.
- 'State of shock' -
President Joe Biden was informed of the shooting during a visit to
"My heart goes out to the families enduring the unimaginable grief of
losing a loved one," he said.
"That whole community has to be just in a state of shock right now."
McCabe said police had been in contact with the suspect's parents and had
searched their home.
The suspect had been in class today and appeared to carry out the attack
It was unclear if victims had been specifically targeted or were randomly
shot, McCabe said.
"He's not talking to us at this time," he told reporters.
McCabe said police were combing the scene at the school, which has about
1,800 students, and will want to interview anyone who might have information
on the suspect.
"I think this is every parent's worst nightmare," Michigan Governor
Gretchen Whitmer said at the same press briefing.
- 'Uniquely American problem' -
It was the deadliest school shooting so far this year, according to
Everytown For Gun Safety, a group which keeps statistics of mass shootings
and lobbies for gun control.
Before Tuesday's incident, there had been 138 shootings in schools across
the United States in 2021, according to figures provided by Everytown.
In those incidents, 26 resulted in fatalities, though no more than two each
Asked about the plague of mass shootings in the country, Whitmer replied:
"This is a uniquely American problem that we need to address."
The deadliest school shootings in US history were the April 2007 attack at
Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia, which saw 33 killed, including the
shooter, followed by the December 2012 attack on the Sandy Hook elementary
school in Newtown, Connecticut, which left 28 dead, including 20 children and
In February 2018, a man with an AR-15 assault rifle opened fire in his
former high school in Parkland, Florida, killing 17, in the deadliest-ever
high school shooting.
Shannon Watts, the founder of the group Moms Demand Action, called for more
action to control firearms, saying there are 400 million guns owned by
civilians across the country.
"If more guns made us safer, we'd be the safest nation in the world," Watts
wrote on Twitter.