Paramilitary trooper killed, 2 wounded in Indian-controlled Kashmir militant attack


SRINAGAR, Dec. 31, 2017 (BSS/XINHUA) – At least one paramilitary trooper of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) was killed and two others wounded early Sunday after militants stormed their camp in restive Indian-controlled Kashmir, police said.

The gunmen believed to be fidayeen (suicide attackers) militants indiscriminately used gunfire and hurled grenades, while making their entry inside the camp near Srinagar-Jammu highway at village Lethpora-Awantipora of district Pulwama, about 26 km south of Srinagar city, the summer capital of Indian-controlled Kashmir.

“Early today heavily armed militants entered a camp in Lethpora using heavy gunfire and hurling grenades,” Rajesh Yadav, Srinagar-based spokesman of CRPF told Xinhua. “One CRPF man was killed and two others were wounded in the attack.”

Yadav said the militants believed to be between three and four have been confined in the building at the camp.

“The gunfire is going on inside the camp,” he said.

The wounded paramilitary troopers were rushed to hospital and contingents of army and police have rushed to the camp to take on militants there.

Locals living in the vicinity of the camp said they heard sounds of gunfire and blasts during the night.

Jaish-e-Mohammad militant outfit has claimed the attack. In a statement to local news organizations, the outfit said three of its militants have stormed the camp, according to reports.

In a similar attack on district police lines complex in Pulwama in August this year, four CRPF personnel and four policemen were killed.

A guerrilla war is going on between militants and Indian troops stationed in the region since 1989. However, of late Indian policemen too have been trained to fight them.

Kashmir, the Himalayan region divided between India and Pakistan is claimed by both in full. Since their independence from Britain, the two countries have fought three wars, two exclusively over Kashmir.